WHITE HEAT



White heat print, available for a limited time here. 

I like to work on drawings at least a little bit every day. Even if it's nothing important, or it's directionless or silly or self-indulgent. 
Somedays, nothing comes out of it and I've -- in isolation -- wasted my time. But other days, I make something that I love, and it's well worth the time. In a way, I gamble with my hours to see if I'll come up with something good. And the more I do it, the better the odds. 
You've all heard that saying: 'The harder I work, the luckier I get'? It's like that.
This piece really reminds me of that ethos, because I worked on it during a painfully insistent heatwave earlier this year, with no air conditioning of any sort and not even the nights offering a break in the temperature. Being from the north, I'm used to a big thunderstorm rolling through in the evening to break a hot summers day and cool everything off, but that doesn't happen down here in the southern parts of Australia. I'd never experienced anything like it, but I was determined to keep working, to keep making stuff. 
Because eventually, something good comes along. 


3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, so summery! x
    http://laurendoesart.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I like how you outlined the flowers with the changing lines :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...